Gary Wood Bio - The Informal Version
Looking for the real Gary Wood bio, the one that gives insight into the person, who he is and what has formed him?
You are probably asking yourself, who is Gary Wood and why should I use his services and products? Why should my company engage the services of his executive coaching firm? I want to know him. I want to see if he understands me and my situation. I want to see why I should trust him with my personal, professional and organizational information. Who is Gary Wood?
Here’s a glimpse of some of the influences that have determined who I am and what I will bring to our work together. This is very informal. GE Wood is led by a real person, with a life.
That’s only a fraction of the story AND I’ve only just entered my most productive years. There you have it ... the Gary Wood bio.
- I was brought up on the farm, knowing how to get the job done and learning the values of rural life and the relationships that were knit by a hard working community of people.
- I knew I was loved by my Dad and Mom who (looking back) sacrificed more than I even know, so I could be where I am today.
- So I have the benefit of having lived and worked in the country, town and city (sounds like a country song!)
- Worked ninety minutes to clear the beaver pond to play hockey for 30 minutes. When I think back, clearing the pond was my best hockey skill.
- I've thrown hay, picked potatoes, worked the jack hammer and built houses as a kid. That got me through all the years of schooling.
- Have had my life enriched by knowing, learning from and working with wonderful people (lots of them)
- Married the girl of my dreams who completes who I am (I got the best - I am the most fortunate man on earth.)
- Read the Bible daily and I endeavor to treat, lead and coach people in alignment with its changeless truths.
- Pray daily, have for years, will pray for anyone who touches my life
- I've been in the big company (yes, I was a number!) and I've worked on computers when they were bigger than cars.
- I've also moved out of the city, where there were no computers and started all over again.
- I have worked for people, with people and leading people. My life has been all about people - a major portion of that, harnessing their capabilities to accomplish good things together.
- I've started businesses, doing very well at some and poorly at others. I now know the differences.
- Designed things, made things and sold things
- As a business entrepreneur and executive, I've never stopped learning. I believe in keeping fresh, stretching myself and moving forward.
- Did business plans, marketing plans, house plans, ministry plans, strategic plans and planned how to plan
- I have served on boards of directors with a bunch of great people. And I've been through those 'not so stellar' boardroom meetings too.
- Created new directions, programs and initiatives
- I've written and read, spoke and listened a lot, still do. Seems a lot more people want to listen to me now, but it only makes me more aware of how much I still have to learn.
- Spotted, encouraged and trained emerging leadership. I've even given some my job. I love nothing more than watching emerging leadership grow and work shoulder-to-shoulder with me.
- I've done business in retail, wholesale, service, distribution and worked in non-profit (The early years seemed like a lot of non-profit)
- I have invested (wisely, I believe) my adult years in Christian service - sometimes 'part-time', sometimes 'full-time'. What I have seen accomplished in lives will forever motivate me to keep working with people to see them be all that God created them to be.
- I've worked with volunteers, hundreds and hundreds of them, motivated and excellent people, a highlight for sure. I've had the great privilege to articulate vision that captured their imagination and motivated us to work hard together to reach our goals.
- And I’ve had great employees too. Some of them stand out for sure, but it was an honor to work side by side to accomplish good things.
- Seems like I have always been working with people - coaching one to one before Coaching was even a recognized profession.
- I've resolved conflicts and a million other things. This is the stuff of real life. It was mine to do and I did it, not always perfectly but with integrity.
- I've been encouraged, discouraged, needed courage and found courage
- Listened to and cried or rejoiced over almost every life situation going
- I have had the incredible privilege to serve thousands of youth. These are the men and women who are taking increasingly more important positions of leadership and influence right now.
- Worked with hundreds of couples and families
- I am happily married with grown children. My wife is wonderful. (I know it's a repeat, but it's worth saying.) Over thirty-six years of great marriage behind us - God willing, more to come
- Survived the teen years. 'Survived' is tongue-in-cheek. We were all learning together. I'd do a few things different, but not much. Great kids.
- Marriages and now the Grandchildren – nothing quite like those little ones
- I've held long time commitments, week in and week out.
- I've experienced break-ups, make-ups and shake-ups in organizations. Wherever you have people you have challenges. You also have incredible potential for change.
- I know what it is to run with stress and "overload". I spent several years 'running in the red'. I've learned so much from that experience, that I am regularly sought to coach leaders who are traveling that road right now. A formative time for sure.
- Have had a tired body, tired brain and tired soul and made it through
- Have had the severe privilege of being very near big stuff like cancer, suicide, eating disorders, marriage breakups and death
- I have lots of laughs, tons of memories and friends to share them with. The list of enriching people in my life just seems to keep growing.
- I worked hard to master coaching skills and get recognized professional credentials, but my clients seem to give me more than I give them. (At least that's what I often feel after a call.)
- And I have great coaching clients, who are ready, willing and able - successful people on the move who only want to do better.
- I collaborate with amazing associates who spark me to learn, stretch and grow
- I read and research like mad and really believe that leaders are readers
- I love life and even looking back at a lot of tough stuff, wouldn't trade mine
If you allow us the honor of working with you and your organization, I will bring the best of all that I am into serving you and seeing you successfully move forward.
Return to Media Page ( From Gary Wood Bio )
| Retain Us
© G.E.Wood and Associates. All Rights Reserved.
G.E.Wood and Associates is an international executive coaching firm registered in Ontario, Canada
142 Pratt Crescent, Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada, P1P 1P5