Gary Wood Bio - The Informal Version
Are you looking for the real Gary Wood bio, the one that gives insight into the person, who I am and what has formed me? Here's the somewhat tongue-in-cheek version.
Who is Executive Coach Gary Wood? I want to know him. I want to see if he understands me and my situation. What kind of a life has he lived? I want to see why I should trust him with my personal, professional and organizational information. Who is Gary Wood?
Here’s a glimpse of some of the influences that have determined who I am and what I will bring to our work together. This is very informal. But you need to know that G.E.Wood & Associates is led by a real person ... with a life.
- I was brought up on the farm, knowing how to get the job done and learning the values of rural life and the relationships that were knit by a hard working community of people.
- I knew I was loved by my Dad and Mom who (looking back) sacrificed more than I even know, so I could be where I am today.
- So I have the benefit of having lived and worked in the country, town and city (sounds like a country song!)
- Worked ninety minutes to clear the beaver pond to play hockey for 30 minutes. When I think back, clearing the pond was my best hockey skill.
- I've thrown hay, picked potatoes, worked the jack hammer and built houses as a kid. That got me through all the years of schooling.
- Have had my life enriched by knowing, learning from and working with wonderful people (lots of them)
- Married the girl of my dreams who completes who I am (I got the best - I am the most fortunate man on earth.)
- Read the Bible daily and I endeavor to treat, lead and coach people in alignment with its changeless truths.
- Pray daily, have for years, will pray for anyone who touches my life
The Gary Wood Bio, There's More
- I've been in the big company (yes, I
was a number!) I worked on computers when they were bigger than some cars.
- I've also moved out of the city,
where there were no computers and started all over again.
I have worked for people, with people and leading people. My life has been all
about people - a major portion of that, harnessing their capabilities to
accomplish good things together.
I've started businesses, doing very well at some and poorly at others. I now
know the differences. Yes, it's the real Gary Wood bio.
Designed things, made things and sold things
As a business entrepreneur and leader, I've never stopped learning. I believe
in keeping fresh, stretching myself and moving forward.
Did business plans, marketing plans, house plans, ministry plans, strategic
plans and planned how to plan
I have served on boards of directors with a bunch of great people. And I've
been through those 'not so stellar' boardroom meetings too.
Created new directions, programs and initiatives
I've written and read, spoke and listened a lot, still do. Seems a lot more
people want to listen to me now, but it only makes me more aware of how much I
still have to learn.
Spotted, encouraged and trained emerging leadership. I've even given some my
job. I love nothing more than watching emerging leadership grow and work
Still More ...
- I've done business in retail, wholesale, service, distribution and worked in non-profit (The early years seemed like a lot of non-profit)
- I have invested (wisely, I believe) my adult years in Christian service - sometimes 'part-time', sometimes 'full-time'. What I have seen accomplished in lives will forever motivate me to keep working with people to see them be all that God created them to be. Now that's a Gary Wood bio point that encourages me.
- I've worked with volunteers, hundreds and hundreds of them, motivated and excellent people, a highlight for sure. I've had the great privilege to articulate vision that captured their imagination and motivated us to work hard together to reach our goals.
- And I’ve had great employees too. Some of them stand out for sure, but it was an honor to work side by side to accomplish good things.
- Seems like I have always been working with people - coaching one to one before Coaching was even a recognized profession.
- I've resolved conflicts and a million other things. This is the stuff of real life. It was mine to do and I did it, not always perfectly but with integrity.
- I've been encouraged, discouraged, needed courage and found courage
- Listened to and cried or rejoiced over almost every life situation going
- I have had the incredible privilege to serve thousands of youth. These are the men and women who are in important positions of leadership and influence right now.
- Worked with hundreds of couples and families
- I am happily married with grown children. My wife is wonderful. (I know it's a repeat, but it's worth saying.) "Many" years of great marriage behind us - God willing, more to come
- Survived the teen years. 'Survived' is tongue-in-cheek. We were all learning together. I'd do a few things different, but not much. Great kids.
- Marriages and now Grandchildren – And some of them are bigger, older, and uniquely themselves. Beginning to accomplish things ... and, who knows what they will achieve!
And On and On to the End
- I've held long time commitments, week in and week out.
- I know about caring for an elderly parent. 4-1/2 hours away. Pushing 100 years old. Lots of stories there.
- I've experienced break-ups, make-ups and shake-ups in organizations. Wherever you have people you have challenges. You also have incredible potential for change.
- I know what it is to run with stress and overload. I spent several years "running in the red." It helped me understand leaders who are traveling that road right now. A formative time for sure.
- Have had a tired body, tired brain and tired soul and made it through. I did say it was the real Gary Wood bio!
- Have had the severe privilege of being very near big stuff like cancer, suicide, eating disorders, marriage breakups, all sorts of failures, heartaches, and death
- I am no stranger to disappointment, but in it I've found appointment, good work to be done. God redeeming any disappointment for His use.
- I have lots of laughs, tons of memories and friends to share them with. The list of enriching people in my life just seems to keep growing.
- I worked hard to master coaching skills and get recognized professional credentials, but my clients seem to give me more than I give them. (At least that's what I often feel after a call.)
- And I have great coaching clients, who are ready, willing and able - successful people on the move who only want to do better. Seems I hear something on the news, and some client will have a connection to it. Vital and compelling.
- I've collaborated with amazing colleagues who sparked me to learn, stretch and grow
- I read, research, and ponder, and really believe that leaders are readers.
- I love creating. I have a hundred and one "tools" I'd like to create for clients, articles I'd like to work on, and on, and on. I suspect life will be too short to achieve it all.
- The body's good. The brain is sharp (that's a good thing!) However, I've been told I've completed my last roof. "That's it. No more up on the roof," she said. (No, I did not fall off.)
- I love life and even looking back at a lot of tough stuff, wouldn't trade mine
- Did I mention I'm married to the love of my life? Of course I did. We're still enjoying our journey together, (even though she said I can't go back up on the roof.)
- No roof, but I do have "the barn," (a.k.a. the shop) a place to build, repair, and tinker on a day off. We call it the barn that family and friends built. The only warning I've received is to not cut digits off.
That’s only a fraction of the story ...
There you have it ... the Gary Wood, executive coach bio. If you allow me the honor of working with you and your organization, I will bring the best of all that I am into serving you and seeing you successfully move forward.
For a more formal, (but less lively) business-like summary of Executive Coach Gary Wood click here.
© G.E.Wood and Associates. All Rights Reserved in all media.
G.E. Wood and Associates is an international coaching firm registered in Ontario, Canada
142 Pratt Crescent, Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada, P1P 1P5